Church of the Assumption
The Church of the Assumption was built in 1923 on 8th Avenue in Topeka, directly across the street from the Kansas Statehouse. A load bearing masonry building, the sanctuary is flanked to either side by two bell towers along the front elevation. Unfortunately, some questionable original detailing combined with deferred maintenance of those towers led to severe corrosion of the original ferrous tension rods. Previous to our involvement, it was determined that complete tear down and reconstruction of the towers was the best course of action. We were called upon to review the building, design a new structural system, and detail the brick for the new towers creating a replica matching the original appearance but designed to stand the test of time.